Friday, November 25, 2011

A day to be thankful

With DM there are some things to be thankful for.



First and foremost I am thankful for my boy Llyr. Despite the progressing of DM he still has  a good quality of life! I am thankful for his gusto for life and how he accepts and adapts to the challenges of DM.

I am thankful that there is a DNA test for DM and that there are some breeders that are testing their breeding stock and producing clear litters. Not enough though because some breeders have their heads in the sand, but that will be a topic for another post.
I am thankful that Llyr's original cart was able to be redesigned 2 times to be adapted to his needs and then his custom cart redesigned 2 times to his advancing DM. Thank you Dr. Parkes, Jamie and Rebecca at K9 Cart Company East.
I am thankful for the people on the Wheel Corgi Yahoo group that share their knowledge. I may not post  very often to the group, but I have learned a lot. A special thank you to Bobbie who started the group. She is quick to answer questions and has a lot of knowledge of DM. She also encouraged me to write this blog. She has written two wonderful blogs. Merlin's DM Blog where she chronicled Merlin's journey with DM. It is very informative and a must read for anyone who wants to learn more about DM. She also writes a bog called Merlin's friends which is a tribute to other Corgis who have gone to the Rainbow Bridge because of DM.
I am thankful for Dr. Stephanie Finley, Michelle and Cheryl at West Chester Veterinary Speciality Rehab Center for all they have done for Llyr and me too. They are like family now.
I am thankful for Dr. Cross who is now at VCA Veterinary Center in Indianapolis, IN. He is the first Veterinary Neurologist there. He was Llyr's first Neurologist at Penn Veterinary Medicine at The University of Pennsylvania. He showed so much compassion for Llyr and took wonderful care of him. I learned a lot from him. I am grateful to have know such a wonderful Vet. I miss him, but the people of Indianapolis are very lucky to have him!
I am thankful for Dr. Moeser.  Llyr's new Neurologist at Penn. We have only seen him once, but Llyr will be seeing him again in a couple weeks.
I am thankful for The Daily Corgi and Laurie Eno who has a never ending love and compassion for Corgis. She has featured Llyr many times on her blog and did a fundraiser for DM research. Her efforts raised a lot of money for DM and also awareness for this devastating disease. She has built a wonderful community with her blog for Corgi lovers worldwide.
I am thankful for Dr. Davis Diehl who saved Llyr's life by diagnosing his Thyroid Cancer and has been taking care of Llyr since then. She has advised me well and pointed me in the right direction in building a team of Vets for Llyr with his DM.
Lastly, I am thankful for my family and friends who understand and accept the love I have for Llyr and the time restraints that caring for him puts on the time I have to spend with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment