Sunday, November 20, 2011

The beginning

I remember receiving a call from Dr. Cross about Llyr's DNA test and not being surprised, but still very upset. I knew very little about DM. I cried a lot, but then realized that I had to get my act together and do all that I could to help Llyr. I started looking into where I could take him for Physical therapy. The first place I went to I did not like. They had a beautiful new facility and came highly recommended. His first few sessions went well, but then they wanted me to drop Llyr off for the day and told me that it would be impossible for me to be a part of his therapy. I thought this odd, but I did what they asked and after 3 sessions of Llyr coming home tired and out of sorts things did not feel right. I tried to get them to let me participate, but they told me that they could not say exactly what time during the day they would be working with Llyr. So, I set out to find a better facility for Llyr.

After a recommendation from a Vet who specialized in Geriactics I made an appointment with West Chester Veterinary Speciality Center in West Chester, Pa. Llyr had an evaluation with Dr. Stephanie Finely. She was wonderful, knowledgeable and had a calming presence. She told me a beginning plan for Llyr's therapy and that "of course I could be a part of his therapy" Those were golden words to my ears and the start of a wonderful relationship!

What I want everyone to know is do not be afraid to ask questions of Vets and Rehab Practitioners or anyone involved with your dogs care. We all have a sixth sense and don't hesitate to follow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment